Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What do the letters in PICO stand for?
- Patient or problem
Additional letters (PICOTTS)
- Type of study
PICO Question Templates
Example PICO questions
Use this worksheet from Sonoma State University to help you structure your PICO question. (Word doc)
When should you use PICO?
- In academia when you are looking for evidence to support best practice
- In practice when you have a question about patient care
Why should you use PICO?
- Helps you form a focused question that will return relevant results
- Helps you retrieve a manageable amount of results
- Assists you in brainstorming keywords for your research
- Saves time!
*This guide was recreated with permission from the UNC Health Sciences Library.