Smith-Overton Family Quilt HS-019
The Smith-Overton Family Quilt, completed in 1939, consists of squares embroidered with both Smith and Overton family members' names.
Hattie G. Smith (1864-1941) and Kirby G. Smith (1863-1938) were married in Cumberland County in 1885 where the family operated a farm. The couple had six children, Overton Jeter Smith (1888-1958), Bettie Gay Smith (1891-1977), Charlie G. Smith, Sr. (1892-1966), George Beverly Smith (1897-1970), Walter G. Smith, Sr. (1903-1986), and Harriet Lucille Smith (1901-1996).
Overton Jeter Smith married Nancy M. Cawthorne (1885-1970) with whom he had three children: Jeter C. Smith (1913-1988), Overton Hubbard Smith (1915-2003), and Virginia A. Smith (1918-1922).
Bettie Gay Smith married Walter Burnell Overton, Sr. (1877-1966) in 1912. The couple had eight children, Hattie Overton (1913-2003), Walter Burnell Overton, Jr. (1916-1986), Elizabeth Ethel Overton (1918-2000), Marvin W. Overton (1919-1986), Dorothy Louise Overton (1924-1989), Gay Nell Overton (1926-2018), Bessie Mae Overton (1929-2001), and George Kenneth Overton (1932-2017).
Charlie G. Smith married Annie Gertrude (1895-1962) with whom he had three children: William “Billie” Smith (1923-1979), Charles G. Smith, Jr. (1929-2012), and Barbara Jean Smith (1935- ).
George Beverly Smith married Mae Blanton (ca.1900-19??). There are no known offspring from this union.
Walter C. Smith married Margie C. Smith (1903-1983) with whom he had two children: Rev. Walter C. Smith, Jr. (1930-2003) and Donald C. Smith (1934-1979).
Harriet Lucille Smith married Morris G. Smith (1896-1984) with whom she had two children: Morris G. Smith, Jr. (1924-2011) and Thelma Anne Smith (1930- ).
This quilt, originally designed and created by an unknown member of the Overton family in 1939, was donated to the Farmville-Prince Edward County Historical Society by Margaret J. Stone of Easley, South Carolina in November 2020.
Scope and Content
This quilt, which dates from 1939, is embroidered with names of Smith and Overton family members. Also included are names of people associated with Rose’s Department Store as well as place names such as “Farmville” and “Roses.”
This collection consists of 1.75 linear foot contained in (1) archival flat box.
There are no restrictions to access or use for research purposes.
Please see attached grid of where embroidered names appear on the quilt which includes some limited genealogical information.