Old Post Office/Federal Building - Building Plans HS-031
Information about the Collection
Located at the corner of Main Street and High Street in downtown Farmville, the Watkins M. Abbitt Federal Building was originally constructed as the Farmville Post Office in 1917. While efforts had been made as early as 1898 to secure a public building in Farmville, it was not until 1913, when a citizen’s committee pressed the matter to Senators John W. Daniel and Thomas S. Martin and Congressman Robert G. Southall; that the necessary appropriations were made to finance the construction. The town of Farmville ceded two parcels of land for the project and construction finally began on November 26, 1917.
In 1962, operations at the Farmville Post Office had outgrown the facilities on Main Street and a new post office was constructed on the corner of Third Street and Virginia Street. At that point, a plan was drafted to consolidate all of the Federal Government offices in Farmville into a single facility. The former post office was remodeled to suit that purpose and reopened as the Federal Building in March 1963. In 1972, the building was named after U.S. Representative Watkins M. Abbitt, who had represented Virginia’s 4th Congressional District for nearly 25 years.
It is unknown when, or by what means, this collection was acquired by the Farmville-Prince Edward County Historical Society.
Scope and Content
This collection, which dates from 1915-1918, 1940, 1945, 1948, and 1962, consists of building plans for the Farmville Post Office, subsequent renovations, and plans for the building remodel for the conversion into the Federal Building.
This collection consists of (26) building plan sheets contained in (2) oversize archival folders.
There are no restrictions to access or use for research purposes.
Contents of the Collection
Lobby and Desk detail, ca. June 1915
Survey of proposed post office lot, January 12, 1916
Building plans, 1940 renovation
Window grilles, drawing SE-R-702
Lock boxes, drawing SE-R-703
Building plans, ca. 1917
Approach Plan, drawing no. 5
Basement Plan, drawing no. 6
First Floor Plan, drawing no. 7
Mezzanine Plan, drawing no. 8
Proposed alterations to Entrance Steps, drawing no. DE-3-2, 1945
Boiler Replacement Plan drawing no. 27-DE-2-1, 1948
First Floor plan, undated
Elevation details, ca. 1917
Plumbing, Heating, and Lighting Plans, drawing no. PHL-603, 1917
Rock Elevation survey, 1918
Air Conditioning, drawing no. 27-13, 1962
Plumbing and Heating, drawing no. 27-14, 1962
Plumbing, drawing no. 27-15, 1962 (x2)
Mechanical, drawing no. 27-16, 1962 (x2)
Air Conditioning, 1962
Drawing no. 27-17
Drawing no. 27-18
Drawing no. 27-19
Electrical, drawing no. 27-20, 1962
Air Conditioning, 1962 (drawing no. unknown)