Dr. Charles H. Patterson, served as the chairman of the Department of Education, Psychology, and Philosophy at Longwood College for 22 years (1951-1973). During his tenure as chair he established the Wynne Lab School and assisted with the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) site visit in the Spring 1983. Dr. Patterson also served as the Director of Graduate Programs (1973-1986 for 7 years. In March 1973, Dr. Patterson was made Board of Visitors Distinguished Professor of Education for his services to the Department of Education, Psychology, and Philosophy and was made Emeritus Professor in March 1986 upon his retirement from Longwood College.
Dr. Charles Patterson (October 11, 1924 – January 8, 2016) grew up in Waynesboro, Virginia. He was in the United States Army Air Force during World War II. Dr. Patterson received his Bachelors, Masters (1950) and Doctorate of Education (1958) from the University of Virginia.
The Wynne Lab School is named for John Peter Wynne, the Director of Teacher Education during the 1920s when Longwood University was known as the State Teachers Collection at Farmville. The School was an elementary level laboratory or demonstration school, designed to provide future teachers with spaces to practice teaching skills, while being evaluated and monitored by college and university faculty. The Wynne Lab School was built in the late 1960 on Longwood College’s campus and was open until the 1980s. After the Wynne Lab School closed, the Wynne Building was then used by different academic departments and was finally closed and demolished in 2006.
The development of the Wynne Lab School spans the chairmanship of Dr. Charles H. Patterson, Chairman, Department of Education, Psychology, and Philosophy (now the Department of Education), and three Longwood University Presidents Dr. Francis Greenfield Lankford (1955-1965), Dr. James Heflin Newman (1965-1967), and Dr. Henry Irving Willett, Jr. (1967-1981).
The provenance and acquisition is unknown however, the collection is Dr. Charles H. Patterson’s paper pertaining to the establishment of the Wynne Lab School. It is not known when the collection was transferred to Greenwood Library but most likely were transferred after Dr. Patterson’s retirement in 1986. There is no signed deed of gift or other acquisition documentation.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of the records of Dr. Charles H. Patterson, Chairman, Department of Education, Psychology, and Philosophy at Longwood College (now University). The collections consists of the correspondence (letters, memorandums, notes); reports; policies; budgets; floor plans and other documentation that pertains to the request for and construction of the Wynne Lab School on Longwood College’s campus.
The topics covered in the collection are for the need and justification of a laboratory or demonstration school; the construction of the Wynne building including the educational specifications for a laboratory school; and the operating and construction budgets.
The majority of the correspondence is between Dr. Patterson; Dr. Henry I. Willett, Jr, President, Longwood College (1967-1981); Dr. Francis Lankford, President, Longwood College (1955-1965); Dr. James Newman, President, Longwood College (1965-1967); various Longwood College departments; the architect, Ben R. Jones; and the Virginia Council for Higher Education.
This collection consists of .56 linear feet contained in 1 legal-sized Hollinger box.
There are no restrictions to access or use for research purposes.
Contents of the Collection
Need and Laboratory School Educational and Physical Specifications (1965 – 1966)
Laboratory School Educational Specifications and Operational Costs (January – June 1967)
Laboratory School Planning (May 9 – July 30, 1968)
Laboratory School Planning (September 11 – December 17, 1968)
Laboratory School Changes and Schematic (September 11, 1968)
Construction Bids and Funding Issues (January 30 – November 25, 1969)
Wynne Laboratory School Projected Enrollments (February 6, 1969)
Laboratory School Budget (1969 – 1970)
John P. Wynne Campus School Departmental Self-Study (1970 – 1971)
Campus School Candidates (May 27, 1977)
Wynne Campus School Utilization and Enrollments (1979; 1978 – 1979 and 1979 – 1980 academic years)
Recommendations and Justifications for a Laboratory School (April 30 – July 28, 1980)
Policies and Reports
The Laboratory School: It’s Rise and Fall? by William Van Til
Wynne Laboratory School Guest Register (April 19, 1970 – April 4, 1973)
Wynne Lab School Blue Prints
*For more detailed information about the contents of each folder please use the Print/Download copy of the Dr. Charles H. Patterson records on the Wynne Lab School Finding Aid.