Robert C. Anderson - Providence Plantation Records HS-028
Robert C. Anderson was born in Prince Edward County in 1817, the son of Robert H. Anderson and Henningham C. Venable. Robert C. Anderson inherited, from his parents, the Providence Plantation in Prince Edward County. The house and farm had been given to his parents as a wedding gift in 1816, by Anderson’s maternal grandfather, Samuel Woodson Venable, Sr.
The land and home, originally known as Rose Hill, was located 1 ½ miles east of Worsham, Virginia. The property was owned by the Episcopal Church, situated in nearby Kingsville, Virginia, and served as the rectory for the Reverend Archibald McRobert. Local, unverified legend states that during the American Revolution, when Tarleton’s troops were raiding the nearby area, they destroyed much of the furniture and interior of the home and then set fire to the house. Shortly after they rode off, a sudden rain put the fire out, prompting Reverend McRobert to change the name of the home from Rose Hill to Providence.
This collection was donated to the Farmville-Prince Edward County Archives in June 1999, by Marian Rice of Wheaton, Maryland.
Scope and Content
This collection, which dates from 1841 to 1871, consists of financial records related to Robert C. Anderson and Providence Plantation.
This collection consists of 1.0 linear foot contained in (1) archival flat box.
There are no restrictions to access or use for research purposes.
Contents of Collection
Box 1 of 1:
Account with McNutt, Barksdale, & Co., 1841
Receipt from James Edwards & J.M. Crute, 1849
Account with J.W. Womack, 1853
Receipt from C.M. Walker, 1867
Re: tobacco sales, 1868
Receipt from Jno. R. Cunningham, Prince Edward County Commissioner of Revenue, 1869
Receipt from Jno. Cabbell, 1869
Receipt from G.O. Scott (for Weldon Scott), 1869
Receipt from H.O. Guthrie, 1869
Receipt from C.M. Walker, 1869
Re: tobacco sales, 1869
Promissory note, $300, 1871
Promissory note, $37.50, 1871
Receipt of taxes paid, 1871